Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Trying to Catch that Catchlight

When I took Kim's photography class, she taught us a a little about catchlight - that really cool, colorful, deep eye shot. And that, by the way, is MY non-technical definition. ;)

Since then, I've really wanted to try it. I quickly learned, however, that a 4-year-old is not really the best model. I gotta assume that a 20-month-old isn't much better... and my husband, who has the BEST eyes and would be perfect for this, says he "doesn't want weird pics of his eyes all over the internet."

Sigh.

So. Back to catchlight.

This one is overexposed, but I do like his eyes. I just wish they looked the same shade of blue.

Both of his eyes in this one are the same colors, so that's good... I just don't feel that his eyes have that same "pop." And what is with the expression?!

I love how serious he looks in this one. Is this it? Did I do it? I'm not even sure.

Back to practicing. I need a model who will actually stay still when asked. Keeping your tongue in your mouth is a bonus.

3 comments:

  1. I love the first one! I absolutely CANNOT catch the color of E's eyes, and I soooo want to! You'll have to tell me what you did!

    I stay still, though I can't guarantee the tongue thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job getting the catch lights! He has gorgeous eyes, it's so hard w/ mine & their brown eyes :/ The last one is my favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did it in all three! I'm proud of you Lauren! On the last one, is that an in-camera crop?

    ReplyDelete