Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Two Peas in a Bucket, Week 1: Aperture

Along with a couple of my friends, I started working my way through the self-paced, twelve-lesson tutorial offered by Two Peas in a Bucket.

The first week was aperture, which is something I already work with. The lower your f-stop, the more shallow your depth of focus - meaning, less of your frame will be in focus. I use this idea often in taking shots for my food blog or weekly scavenger hunts.

To accomplish this week's lesson, we were instructed to set our camera on aperture-priority mode. I don't shoot like this, though, because I like having full control of my camera (well, as much control as I know how to manipulate!). But - this was a fun assignment.

Each of the following collages were shot on AV mode, and the layout is the same. The top row, left to right, is f/2.8 and f/8, and the bottom row is f/22 and f/32.

These are some hyacinths (I think?) that are growing behind my house.

I think this random tree in my yard shows the differences from 2.8 to 32 the best. I tried to keep my frames the same, but the wind kept blowing my branch around.

I guess I should have paid more attention to the sun when I took these, since my f/2.8 shot is totally blown out.

I don't really see that much of a difference in these; aside from the f/2.8, I think the rest of them look very similar.

Next week - ISO, shutter speed, and aperture!

1 comment:

  1. This looks perfect for me! Thanks for the link off to check it out!

    ReplyDelete